Tuesday 14 April 2009

Some Kind of Wonderful : Am I the only one who hated this?!

You know what, I tried to like this. I really did. I saw 'He's Just Not That Into You' and there was a reference- and it was by John Hughes! What could I not like? As a girl who was not born in the 80s (but should have been) I really made a huge effort to notcie little things. The boy was good looking... The skinhead Duncan... that was nicely done.

But a few things just would never cut it with me. The annoying male lead. Quite possibly the most unattractive romantic hero I have encountered in a while.

The posery arty thing I could not handle. I know my share of arty people and let me point out that it is perfectly possible to be arty without broadcasting it. I did not like the little emo 'I can't fit in' little moments that were peppered throughout the film. His outburst to his father- what was that?

This boy also reminded greatly of the hideously annoying Romeo. Over-romantic, in need of some braincells type thing. The throwing away the college money? When it couldn't be redeemed? For a pair of earrings? For a girl he only liked for shallow reasons who clearly did not return his affections?!

Also the cringe-factor was enormous and the acting atrocious. The little sister screaming during class, the taking Amanda to the mueseum to see a painting he painted of her... Speaking of Amanda, how annoying was she! The crying after she got rejected from her friend Shayne, UGH!!!!!!

This movie is just outdated in so many ways! I'm going to go ahead and compare it to Nazi propaganda- I just don't buy such blatant characterisation!

The only, only redeeming quality of the movie would be Watts. Beautiful, realistic and the only multi-dimensional character, she really won me over. I thought perhaps she was a bit too good for Keith and the ending in which he shows no inclination towards her whatsoever for the first hour and a half of the film but suddenly swaps in the last two was... somewhat... phony.

No comments:

Post a Comment